Visiting the Reading Room
When you arrive at the library for your appointment to view rare books please let the Circulation Desk know you have an appointment in the Reading Room. The Puritan Project Assistant, Dr. Adrea Johnson, will then direct you to the Reading Room.
Using rare books in the Reading Room is a unique experience that includes some important guidelines; please come prepared to meet these conditions:
- We do not allow the use of pens, white out, sticky notes, or any other materials that could damage the rare books. You may use a pencil, paper, and laptop to take notes. A pencil and notepad are provided in the Reading Room. Please do not make notes in books or on top of books.
- Food, drinks, and backpacks are not allowed in the Reading Room. If you require a locker, ask the Circulation Desk for the key and put your belongings in the locker before going to the Reading Room.
- Please sign in on the sign in sheet when you enter the Reading Room.
- The Reading Room must be kept locked at all times and rare books cannot be checked out of the library. If you have to leave the room, close the door behind you and ensure it is locked. When you return, ask the Circulation Desk to unlock the door.
- When you are done using the rare books, leave them on the table in the Reading Room, collect your things from the locker, return the locker key to the Circulation Desk, and sign out.